84 rabbit

eurotuner
Item Posts    Sort Order

84 rabbit

porkchop2 porkchop2
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/05/09
07:27 PM

Confused electric problem  (good battery) > no lights,turn signals,no inside light.Pull hot cable it dies.  FOUND PROBLEM SECOND GROUND CABLE UNHOOKED FROM BATTERY Smirk  
GREEN SIDE UP!!!!

SoKYTDi SoKYTDi
User | Posts: 64 | Joined: 01/08
Posted: 07/06/09
06:21 AM

Just about 99% of the time when you pull the hot cable & the car dies it indicates a bad alternator or regulator. However, when you pull the hot cable from the battery, the regulator takes that to mean that the car is suddenly in need of maximum output from the alternator, and opens the gates to allow everything the alternator is capable of pushing through. Often, this results in a major voltage spike that can kill anything from the alternator, regulator, battery, ECM (if equipped) and other things.

You might get lucky and your electronics will hold up this time, but it does weaken all the components in line!

As far as the interior lights, signals, & headlamps, I would look for blown fuses.  

porkchop2 porkchop2
Posted: 07/06/09
04:29 PM

Thanks for the reply.looking in to fixing my alternator, on the no lights problem
fuses checked out. I,ll deal with that problem after the alternator.
        THANKS AGAIN Smile  PORKCHOP  
GREEN SIDE UP!!!!

porkchop2 porkchop2
Posted: 07/07/09
04:56 PM

Found the problem i left my second ground cable off when i was switching neg. battery cable clamp. thanks for reply soKYTDI  
GREEN SIDE UP!!!!